A pan-European Network for Marine Renewable Energy with a Focus on Wave Energyy
The European Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST) is an EU-funded, intergovernmental framework with currently 38 Members and 1 Cooperating Member. It has, therefore, a strong reach beyond the European Union. Its main objective is to manage the COST Open Call, dedicated to the creation of pan-European research networks in all science fields ad the present COST Action CA17105 called WECanet. Read more: https://www.wecanet.eu/
Round-Robin Testing Program
Under the WECanet Network, an experimental and numerical Round Robin (RR) testing program was proposed in the General Assembly, 2019, held in Porto (PT).
This RR contributes to the WECanet activities under the tasks:
- Working Group 1, Task 1.4: Provide expertise through: i) Benchmark cases (numerical)
- Working Group 2: Task 2.5: Provide expertise through: i) Benchmark cases (experimental treatment)
The execution of the same experimental test program in different laboratories, where the same WEC laboratory-scale model is tested according to the same experimental procedure, seems the most viable methodology to:
- assess the goodness of the laboratory measurements;
- develop a reliable experimental database for validation of numerical models used by researchers worldwide.
Moreover, the execution of the same numerical test program by means of different numerical models where the same experimental database is used according to the same procedure, seems the most viable methodology to:
- assess the capabilities of different numerical models
- identify lacks and guidelines for models use.
In order to design the execution and the outcomes of this RR a joint steering committee, based on members from working groups 1 (numerical) and 2 (experimental) was formed.