Wave-Current Flume One
Name of the Installation: Wave-Current Flume One
Operator: Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (DiCEA), University of Florence
The Wave-Current Flume One (WCF1) of LABIMA - Laboratory of Maritime Engineering (www.labima.unifi.it), University of Florence, is operating continuously since 1980 and the research group has gained top level experiences in experimental methods.
The WCF has been fully rebuilt in 2013 by using the top level state of the art technologies. Moreover, the researchers have top level skills with many softwares for off-shore/near-shore and near-field numerical simulations, among others: DHI-MIKE21, Veri-tech CEDAS, WW3, SWAN, OpenFoam, Lattice Boltzamnn Method for fluid dynamics and a number of proprietary codes (e.g. PMS equation based solver for refraction-diffraction, Sea State generation, short-term and long-term wave analysis, etc. ...)
The wave flume has the following characteristics:
- 37m long, 0.80m wide and 0.80m deep.
- Adjustable sloping bottom.
- Generation of wave motion by a piston type wave maker, renewd in 2014.
- Monochromatic and random seas generation up to 0.60m height in deep section.
- Maximum wave height up-to 0.35m at 0.5-1.0Hz.
- Bi-directional recirculation system with maximum flow rate of 150l/s.
- Wave-Maker Control and data acquisition: NI LabView, MatLab.
- Main instruments: resistive wave gauges,acoustic water surface level gages, load cells, pressure transducers, acoustic doppler current profiler, electromagnetic flow meter, digital video cameras, fast camera, 6DoF video tacking system.
Access to wave-current for device testing. The services are often packaged but would normally include a number of the following:
- Wave and current generation to specified requirements (e.g. site specific wave generation).
- Hydrodynamic performance of the device in a range of conditions.
- Limited survival (based on scale).
- Production of the power map of the device.
- Pressure and force measurements on device structural componenets (e.g. mooring behaviour)
- Validation of pre-completed numerical models.
- Data acquisition and analysis systems (NI Labview, Matlab).
- Support of the experienced staff during set up and testing activities.
- Assistance in the experiment design (scale, model design, test program).
- Office space and interenet access.
- Assistance on finding accommodation.
- Hydrodynamic response of marine structures (wave energy devices, harbour dike, rubble-mound breakwaters, geo-containers).
- Analysis of wave energy conversion systems and design.
- Large scale evaluation of the potential energy of the sea, identification of exploitable areas and assessment of the interaction with waves, currents, sediment transport and dispersion of pollutants and morphy dynamics (by means of numerical simulations).
- Evaluation of the interaction renewable energy device - waves and dyanmics of the moorings in the area next to the structure, multi-scale interaction (i.e. turbulence) and non-linearity, which cannot be simulated with numerical models.
Access Conditions - Contact us:
Contact Person: Lorenzo Cappietti
Address: via di S. Marta, 3 - 50119 Florence , Italy